The following must be submitted for your application to be processed:
**This is not a “Universal” license for other states use. It is an Arizona license only
The Universal Licensing Recognition Application is now online. You will pay and fill out the application online in that order. The fee is $60.00 with a $3.00 convenience fee that can be paid with either debit or credit card.
Step 1: Make Payment with the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology
Next you will make a payment with the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology on the https://bocpayments.az.gov/ website with either credit or debit card. You will need to fill in the applicants information. The payment amount is $60.00 non refundable for the application fee and an additional $3.00 for processing.
Step 2: Fill out the application
After making your credit card payment, click Continue to proceed to Step Two which includes a link to "Complete the Universal Licensing Recognition Application". The Online Application form will open in Adobe Sign and allow for online submission, will take 3 to 4 weeks to process. Please read the following requirements that you will need to attach to the form:
Address: remember any address changes it is your responsibility to notify the Board
Current 2x2 passport quality photo (photo will show on your license and may be taken at Walgreens, Target, Walmart, etc.)
Have been licensed or certification in another state for at least 12 months, license must be in “Good Standings”. (This application is not for applicant’s out of country licensing or certification) U.S. States Only: License or certification must be the same practice level as determined by the licensing agency
Required to have “PASSED” an examination for licensure in the other state if an exam was required by the state you’re coming from.
You will be required to request a “Certification of Licensure” for the state you are relocating from to be sent directly to the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology email address: [email protected]
Proof of Residence, submit one of the following documents:
- A valid Arizona driver’s license
- A current Arizona motor vehicle registration
- Arizona voter registration
- A dated residential rental contract with proof of payment
- Proof of establishment of Arizona utilities
- Proof of enrollment of children in Arizona schools – Grades K - 12
- Documentation demonstrating a change in permanent address on all pertinent records
- Military form 2058
EVIDENCE OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP, U.S. NATIONAL STATUS, OR ALIEN STATUS
You must submit supporting legal documentation (i.e. marriage certificate) if the name on your evidence is not the same as your current legal name.
Evidence showing authorized presence in the United State includes the following:
A. 1. An Arizona driver license issued after 1996 or an Arizona non-operating identification license.
2. A driver license issued by a state that verifies lawful presence in the United States, dated 2000 and beyond. States for which licenses are not acceptable are: Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Washington, as these States do not verify lawful presence in the United States.
3. A birth certificate or delayed birth certificate showing birth in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico (on or after January 13, 1941), Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands (on or after January 17, 1917), American Samoa, or the Northern Mariana Islands (on or after November 4, 1986, Northern Mariana Islands local time)
4. A United States certificate of birth abroad.
5. A United States passport. ***Passport must be signed***
6. A foreign passport with a United States visa.
7. An I-94 form with a photograph.
8. A United States citizenship and immigration services employment authorization document or refugee travel document.
9. A United States certificate of naturalization.
10. A United States certificate of citizenship.
11. A tribal certificate of Indian blood.
12. A tribal or bureau of Indian affairs affidavit of birth.
13. Any other license that is issued by the federal government, any other state government, an agency of this state or a political subdivision of this state that requires proof of citizenship or lawful alien status before issuing the license.
B. This section does not apply to an individual, if all of the following apply:
1. The individual is a citizen of a foreign country or, if at the time of application, the individual resides in a foreign country.
2. The benefits that are related to the license do not require the individual to be present in the United States in order to receive those benefits.
C. If, pursuant to subsection A, an individual has affirmatively established citizenship of the United States or a form of non-expiring work authorization issued by the federal government, the individual, on renewal or reinstatement of a license, is not required to provide subsequent documentation of that status.
D. If, on renewal or reinstatement of a license, an individual holds a limited form of work authorization issued by the federal government that has expired, the individual shall provide documentation of that status.
E. If a document listed in subsection A, paragraphs 1 through 13 does not contain a photograph of the individual, the individual shall also pre-send a Government issued document that contains a photograph of the individual.
F. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Agency" means any agency, department, board or commission of this state or any political subdivision of this state that issues a license for the purposes of operating a business in this state.
2. "License" means any agency permit, certificate, approval, registration, charter or similar form of authorization that is required by law and that is issued by any agency for the purposes of operating a business in this state.