Effective January 1, 2017 NEW Cosmetology Examination. The old cosmetology examination will still continued through December 31, 2016. New revised Cosmetology information handouts are located on the bottom of the page for the examination AFTER January 1, 2017
Effective January 1, 2017, ALL Written Examinations will be able to be taken in; English, Spanish, and Korean & Vietnamese: R4-10-108 (N):The Board or national professional organization with which the Board contracts to administrator the licensing examination shall conduct:
1. The practical section of the licensing examination in English and an applicant shall submit answers in English;
2. The written section of the licensing examination in English and other languages specified by the national professional organization. An applicant may choose to take the written section of the licensing examination in any of the offered languages.
Pre-register Information for Candidates for Examination:
Students can pre-register with greater ease and faster results!
To pre- register for examination, students must meet following statutory requirements (R4-10-108)
These hours below are not the hours a student are required to attend school. These hours are for ONLY pre-registering for examination after they attended school.
1450 hours of Cosmetology training
500 hours of Aesthetic training
500 hours of Nail Technology training
500 hours of Cosmetology Instructor training
400 hours of Aesthetic Instructor training
250 hours of Nail Technology Instructor training
How to apply for Examinations:
STEP 1: Register online with Professional Credential Services, Inc. (PCS) to take the examination.
- Registration website: www.pcshq.com
- Click "Applicants & Candidates",
- Click "Cosmetology & Barbering",
- Click "Arizona",
- Click "On type of Examination",
- Click "Create an account"
- Pay $177.00 by credit card to PCS for both the written & practical exam.
PCS Account Benefits:
- Check Status 24/7 - this includes viewing assigned test dates if approved by Board Office.
- In Addition to ATT Letter (Authorization to Test), an Official Admission Notice for Practical will be e-mailed (10 business days prior to examination date)
- All Scores Notices will be emailed (10 business days after the exam date)
- Reprint Admission Letters, ATT Letters, Score Notices
*Any concerns or problems with the PSC website - contact PCS: 1-888-822-3272 (do not call the state board)
Step 2: Submit Examination Application to Arizona State Board of Cosmetology
- COMPLETE, SIGN and MAIL, the Examination application to the board,
- Mailing address:
Arizona State Board of Cosmetology
1721 E Broadway
Tempe, AZ 85252
- Attach a 2X2 PASSPORT PHOTO to your application,
- Certification of Graduation (must be on School's Letterhead)
- Lawful presence to include supporting document that shows proof of presence in the United States is authorized under the Federal Law;
- Proof of High School Education & proof of age (16 years old) or Proof of age (over 18 years old)
- Pay $70.00 (money order only) - Initial Fee (non-refundable)
Money Order must be paid to the "AZ BD of Cosmetology"
- Student Instructor only: proof of current license & proof of work experience form.
- Once the board receives a COMPLETE examination packet. The board will notify PCS that qualify to take the exam. PCS will NOTIFY you by EMAIL of your practical examination date and give instructions on scheduling the written exam. (The Arizona State Board does not notify candidates fo any examination date).
- If you do not qualify for the examination or more information is required, the Board will notify you by mail only.
- If you have questions, please contact Suzi or Mimi: (480) 784-4539 Examination
- It is up too the candidate to make sure you have applied with PCS and AZ Board for examinations. If you do not complete either of the applications, you will not be scheduled for examinations.
- Individuals must register with PCS under their full legal name as it appears on their government issue photo id card. All names must match.
- Individuals should expect an ATT letter for the theory examination with 2 business days of Board's approval and an Admission Notice for the practical examination within 2- 5 business days of approval.
- Practical Examination dates can not be rescheduled once assigned unless a rescheduling fee of $50.00 is paid.
- Individuals who have not received emails within 5 business days of their Board approval should contact PCS to ensure they do not miss an examination. Always check junk/spam mail folder.
- Any e-mail changes or name changes must be submitted to PCS via email to [email protected]. These changes can not be made over the phone.
Reference: Candidate Information Bulletins beginning January 1, 2017: