Effective December 31, 2018:
- The previous exam company, Professional Credential Services and it's affiliate Virtual Incorporated will be reorganized into a single corporation - "Virtual Incorporated."
Effective January 1, 2018:
New license type "Hairstyling - 1000 hours, Hairstyling Instructor - 350 hours, Hairstyling Salon, and Hairstyling School. Please call the office for more information.
ALL INSTRUCTORS: The Board will not except work experience for schooling. Cosmetology, Nail Technology, Aesthetic, and Hairstyling Instructors are required to attend 350 hours. Submit proof of having "1" years work experience with a current license prior to attending school.
Effective January 1, 2017, ALL Written Examinations will be able to be taken in; English, Spanish, and Korean & Vietnamese: R4-10-108 (N):The Board or national professional organization with which the Board contracts to administrator the licensing examination shall conduct:
1. The practical section of the licensing examination in English and an applicant shall submit answers in English;
2. The written section of the licensing examination in English and other languages specified by the national professional organization. An applicant may choose to take the written section of the licensing examination in any of the offered languages.
Pre-register Information for Candidates for Examination:
Students can pre-register with greater ease and faster results!
To pre- register for examination, students must meet following statutory requirements (R4-10-108)
The hours below are not the hours a student is required to attend school. These hours are for ONLY pre-registering for examination after they attended school.
1450 hours of Cosmetology training
750 hours for Hairstyling training
500 hours of Aesthetic training
500 hours of Nail Technology training
250 hours for all Instructor training types
How to apply for Examinations:
STEP 1: Register online with Virtual Inc. (PCS) to take the examination.
- Registration website: www.pcshq.com
- Click "Applicants & Candidates",
- Click "Cosmetology & Barbering",
- Click "Arizona",
- Click "On type of Examination",
- Click "Create an account"
- Pay $177.00 by credit card to Virtual Incorporated for both the written & practical exam.
Virtual Inc. Account Benefits:
- Check Status 24/7 - this includes viewing assigned test dates if approved by Board Office.
- In Addition to ATT Letter (Authorization to Test), an Official Admission Notice for Practical will be e-mailed (10 business days prior to examination date)
- All Scores Notices will be emailed (10 business days after the exam date)
- Reprint Admission Letters, ATT Letters, Score Notices
*Any concerns or problems with the website - contact Virtual Inc. (PCS) @ 1-888-822-3272 (do not call the state board)
Step 2: Submit Examination Application to Arizona State Board of Cosmetology
- COMPLETE, SIGN and MAIL, the Examination application to the board office;
- Mailing address: (NEW LOCATION)
Arizona State Board of Cosmetology
1740 W Adams #4400
Phoenix AZ 85007
- Attach a 2X2 PASSPORT PHOTO to your application,
- Certification of Graduation (must be on School's Letterhead)
- Lawful presence to include supporting document that shows proof of presence in the United States is authorized under the Federal Law;
- Proof of High School Education & proof of age (16 years old) or Proof of age (over 18 years old)
- Pay the initial, non-refundable fee of $70.00 (money order or cashier's check only)
Payment must be paid to the "AZ Board of Cosmetology"
- Student Instructor only: proof of current license & proof of work experience form (1-Year minimum).
- Examination Application
- Once the board office receives a COMPLETED Examination Application, the board will notify Virtual Inc. (PCS). Virtual Inc. will NOTIFY you by EMAIL of the practical examination date and give the instructions on scheduling the written exam. (The Arizona State Board does not notify candidates fo any examination date).
- If you do not qualify for the examination or additional information is required, the Board will notify you by e-mail or by phone.
- If you have questions, please contact Suzi or Mimi: (480) 784-4539 - Examinations
- It is up to the candidate to make sure they have applied with Virtual Incorporated and the AZ Board of Cosmetology. If you do not complete either applications, you will not be scheduled for the examinations.
- Individuals must register with Virtual Incorporated under their full legal name as it appears on their government issue photo I.D. card. All names must match.
- Individuals should expect an ATT letter for the theory examination within 2 business days of the Board's approval and an Admission Notice for the practical examination within 2- 5 business days of approval.
- Practical Examination dates can not be rescheduled once assigned unless a rescheduling fee is paid.
- Individuals who have not received emails within 5 business days of the Board's approval should contact Virtual Incorporated to ensure they do not miss their scheduled examination. Always check junk/spam e-mail folder.
- Any e-mail changes or name changes must be submitted to Virtual Incorporated via email to [email protected]. These changes can not be made over the phone.