Only complete applications will be processed; a complete application includes all applicable supporting documents and fees, it will take 3 to 4 weeks to process. Note: If you are applying for more than one license you must pay separately. You would first pay for one license submit application, then go back and pay for the second license and submit application.
• There are two ways to qualify for a license by reciprocity in Arizona: (A) license for license or (B) examination. For either type you need:
Step 1: Make Payment with the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology
Next you will make a payment with the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology on the https://bocpayments.az.gov/ website with either credit or debit card. You will need to fill in the applicants information. The payment amount is $60.00 non refundable for the application fee and an additional $3.00 for processing.
Step 2: Fill out the application
After making your credit card payment, click Continue to proceed to Step Two which includes a link to "Complete the Reciprocity Application". The Online Renewal form will open in Adobe Sign and allow for online submission. Please read the following requirements that you will need to attach to the form:
- A copy of your current, active and in good standing license in another state or country (if applicable);
- Verification/Certification of status as set forth in (A) or (B) below;
- An independent evaluation as explained below, if applicable (only applies to out-of-country applicants);
- Current 2x2 passport quality photo (Please note the photo will show on your license).
REGISTER & COMPLETE the Infection Protection and Law class. A fee of $25.00 for the Infection Protection and Law class review will be paid.
(A) License for license: If you hold a current, active and in good standing license, this may be the easier way to obtain an Arizona
license. Provide a certification of a current license from another state or country including the beginning and ending dates of
licensure; i.e., a “license” is renewed at set times. A Certificate/Diploma is not acceptable. Contact your governing
board/licensing agency to obtain a verification/certification of licensure. The certification of license must be emailed
directly to our office from the licensing agency [email protected].
(B) Examination: If your government does not “license” or if you have completed the required education and did not obtain a
license in your state or country, or have an expired license; you may still qualify for reciprocity by examination. Obtain
verification of expired licensed, hours, curriculum studied, and/or graduation from a school with substantially similar
requirements corresponding with Arizona law.
The evaluation service will assess education received: If your government does verify hours and graduation, obtain an
evaluation and have it emailed directly to our office:
**National Interstate Council (NIC): If you have taken and passed the written and practical portions of this examination within the last year but are not yet licensed, provide a state certification to that effect.
• If you qualify for examination, you will be contacted with further information and fees.
• If a separate evaluation is necessary, you will be contacted.
If you received your training or licensure outside the United States; or have graduated within the U.S but are not licensed; or the governing board from that state in which you have put in those hours does not verify hours:
(1) Contact an independent evaluation service of your choice;
(2) Send information and fees for evaluation only directly to the service, not to this Board; (DO NOT SEND RECIPROCITY APPLICATION AND RECIPROCITY FEE TO THE EVALUATION SERVICE)
(3) Ask for a general evaluation and have the evaluation sent directly to our office by email to [email protected]
NOTE: Your license will expire every 2 years on your birthday! 2 year renewal fee: $60.00 Delinquent fee: $30.00 Renewals must be renewed online on or before your birthday.
If you have a disability and need special accommodations to participate in Board programs including receiving this information in an
alternative format, please contact the ADA Coordinator at this office.